Internet connectivity issues can be a punch to the gut because today the internet has become an integral part of our lives and even a slight disruption in services can lead to a lot of frustration, if not loss of time, work, or important data. The unfortunate state of the matter is that just like any other technology, the internet is also not perfect and certainly not immune to problems like disconnections. Fortunately, service providers like Cox have exceptional customer service and users can call the Cox customer service number anytime to get quick and swift assistance.
However, most of the time, these disconnections are not so major that you need to get technical assistance for them to get fixed. Sometimes, the internet can be easily fixed by just resetting or rebooting your internet equipment (the modem). So, keep on reading to find out how to reset Cox modem.
A Note on Cox Equipment: The provider leases special equipment by the name of Panoramic Wifi Gateway, which is a single device consisting of both the modem and the router. This makes an easier case for users because by resetting their Cox modem, they reset their router as well, and most of the time, this reset fixes the connectivity issue.
Talking about the Cox modem, there are two ways to reset the network device, i.e. manually and through the App.
How to Reset Cox Modem Manually?
- Keep your modem on and don’t disconnect the power cable.
- Find the RESET button in the panel. It will be a small hole usually on the back of the device.
- Take a pin or a needle and insert it into the RESET button cavity.
- Pressing will make a click sound. Keep holding the pin in the same position for 10 to 15 seconds.
- The lights on the modem will flash and the device will reboot.
- Wait for 5 minutes for the modem to reboot completely and return to default settings.
- Congratulations! Your modem has been reset back to factory configuration.
How to Reset Cox Modem through the Cox App?
- Open the Cox App and sign in with your User ID and Password.
- Once on the Home Screen, navigate to My Internet under the My Services section.
- Locate the equipment you want to reset.
- Tap on Reset Modem and it will take you to the Reset Modem Screen.
- Next, find and tap the Begin Reset
- A screen will display the message of resetting your modem.
- It might take up to 10 minutes to complete the cycle.
- Once the router fully reboots, you can start using it again.
Disadvantages of Resetting Your Modem
Both of these resetting techniques are not only different in procedure but their functionality and purposes are also strikingly different from one another.
In the manual reset, also called the hard reset, all the information stored in the modem is lost and it goes back to factory default settings. This means the user has to reconfigure it from scratch, including changing the network name and password to their desired one back from the default SSID and Password (usually located on the back of the router). However, since all the configurations are changed back to default, this method often comes in handy to fix connectivity issues or deal with bugs.
While, in the case of App Reset, also known as soft reset, it’s more like a reboot than an actual reset. In soft reset, none of the values inside the router like the user’s selected passwords or network name are changed, rather it just simply reboots the device keeping its internal configuration intact. This is why this option might not often work to fix serious issues.
We hope that this blog has answered all your queries regarding how to reset your Cox modem. Before resetting, make sure to keep the default Password and Username in hand along with a copy of your preferred settings. This is to avoid any inconvenience in case of a complete wipeout of the existing router configuration after the reset.