Xfinity Internet Plans
- Get download speed up to 2 Gbps
- Get tons of content without paying anything extra
- Enjoy access to Xumo
For 12 months with 1-year term contract. Taxes and equipment not included. Automatic payments and paperless billing required.Call Now
There’s a huge amount of traffic flowing through the internet. It would be quite a mess if there weren’t any regulations or protocols to manage such a flow. For this, Internet Protocols are designed by IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), which helps manage the traffic over the internet. Eventually, even these protocols are meant to be renewed/ replaced with new ones. That’s where IPv6 comes in.
It’s the latest version/standard of Internet Protocols IPs formulated by IETF. IPv6 is designed to help with the problems of IPv4 and to improve the overall internet performance. If you’re using Xfinity Internet, then you’ll be glad to know that Xfinity IPv6 is now available for customers to get. But what is and how can you get it? That is what we’re going to cover in this blog. So, let’s get started:
What is Xfinity IPv6?
Similar to traditional IPv6, Xfinity IPv6 is also dedicated to offering a better pool of available IP addresses. The adoption of IPv6 technology was done after the company saw an increase in the use of internet devices.
Moreover, with this immense growth, the existing pool of IPv4 addresses exhausted, which is why the company needed IPv6 to facilitate the customers.
How Does Xfinity Support IPv6?
Although bringing IPv6 with the current network is a huge step for the company, still, managing Xfinity IPv6 settings isn’t easy. However, Xfinity is offering support services for this to ensure that the clients acquire reliable solutions.
Apart from this, here’s what you need to know about using Xfinity IPv6 Internet:
- Customers are requested to keep using their current Xfinity Gateways. The company will offer support services for IPv4 while updating IPv6.
- Only those customers are required to update their devices that are facing issues such as technical malfunctioning, etc.
- Customers who are looking to upgrade their speed will also need a replacement/new device if their current device isn’t able to provide the speed needed.
- WiFi gateways that aren’t compatible with IPv6 will need replacement as well. You can check our guide on setting up an Xfinity WiFi router to get it done easily.
- In case you’re using a separate gateway to connect to your initial Xfinity router, then you’ll need to get it changed if it’s not compatible with Xfinity IPv6 technology.
If you want, you can check out the blog on Xfinity Internet Modems to get an idea of what kind of modems Xfinity offers.
With this, you now know what Xfinity IPv6 is. You don’t need to get it since Xfinity will evaluate your connection and implement the changes whilst offering support services for it too. But you can contact Xfinity customer service to get assistance for any device changes or connection status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Xfinity Support IPv6?
Yes, Xfinity supports IPv6. The company is implementing it on the Xfinity Internet and WiFi connections.
Should I Enable IPv6 or Not?
Since most of the devices don’t support IPv6 technology, you should check whether your device or the processes support it before enabling it.
Should I Enable IPv6 for Gaming?
Gaming requires superfast speed with minimal lags. using IPv6 technology can hinder this performance since most devices aren’t compatible with it and haven’t shifted to this technology yet.