When you subscribe to Xfinity services, it is recommended to use Xfinity’s very own router/modem i.e. xFi Gateway. You get to make the most of Xfinity experiences and enjoy multiple features such as Xfinity voice remote, technical help with Xfinity service, streaming services, and more.
But you also have the option of getting third-party modems to run Xfinity internet. There is a catch though, these third-party modems/routers have to be compatible with Xfinity services. If it is not compatible, you can purchase another compatible modem/router or you can just choose xFI Gateway.
If you are wondering how to find Xfinity compatible modems, you have come to the right place. Keep reading to find out!
How to Find Xfinity Compatible Modems?
Xfinity has already listed several modems or routers that are compatible with Xfinity internet and voice services. You can check the list on the ;
- Open the website mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com and sign in with your Xfinity credentials.
- If you are not an Xfinity user yet, you can simply enter your zip code, select download speed from the drop-down menu, and then click on Find Equipment. The Download Speed option is meant to let you know whether your specific modem/router supports certain internet speeds offered by Xfinity.
- Type the name of the specific retail device brand that you want to purchase. If the product doesn’t show, it means it is not supported by Xfinity.
- If you do find the specific device in the list, click on View details under its thumbnail image. You can use the filter in search to narrow down what you need, which includes options like download speed, voice/telephone enabled, built-in Wi-Fi, brand, etc.
- If the device you are considering purchasing turns out to be compatible with the Xfinity internet/voice service you are going for, then you will see a message: This device is compatible with your service download speed of [download speed in Mbps].
Note that only devices that have been approved by Xfinity will show up on the search. Also, make sure to upgrade your router/modem when Xfinity updates the internet speeds. Moreover, you won’t be eligible for any technical help from Xfinity in case the modem/router runs into any errors.
In short, you can purchase your own retail modem to be used with Xfinity internet or voice service, as long as it is one of the Xfinity compatible modems. However, if the retail modem that you want to purchase isn’t supported by Xfinity services, then you have the option to rent the xFi Gateway or purchase a compatible device listed on the My Device Info link as shown in the article above. For more information, reach out to Xfinity customer service!