Whether you have equipment from your provider or you own it, you need to install updates so that it keeps running smoothly. Fortunately, Xfinity offers free updates if you have rented internet equipment from them. Even if you don’t, you can still update it online. In this blog, we’re listing the ways you can update your Xfinity equipment online, whether you’ve rented it or not. Let’s check how you can do so:
How to Update Your Xfinity Equipment with the Getting Started Kit?
First, we’re going to see how you can update your Xfinity equipment online. The provider offers free updates if you’ve rented the equipment from them. Xfinity customers can easily do this by following the instructions below and updating the equipment via the ‘Getting Started Kit’:
- Open the email on ‘Getting Started Kit’, and choose the ‘Update Now’ button, or head to xfinity.com/equipmentupdate. You’ll need to log in with your Xfinity account’s credentials.
- Once entered, click on the ‘Get Started’ button.
- Next, check the equipment details in the ‘What You Have’ and ‘What You’ll Get’ fields. This will let you know the equipment listed for updates. Make sure the correct equipment is listed. Once double-checked, click on the ‘Continue’ button to proceed.
- Next, review shipping details and delivery address. Make sure the fields are input correctly. Once reviewed, click on the ‘Submit Order’ button.
- Once done, you’ll receive a confirmation message with a tracking number on your entered/ preferred email address. Use this to track your shipment.
Note: In case you’re not eligible for the Getting Started Kit, you can schedule a call from Xfinity customer service regarding the process. You’ll also receive a confirmation message for the call scheduled.
By following the aforementioned steps, Xfinity customers can easily update their equipment online.
How to Update Xfinity Equipment Without the Getting Started Kit?
In case you’ve not rented the equipment from Xfinity, you’ll need to update the equipment on your own. Since, Xfinity takes care of most of the things itself, in order for you to ensure that your equipment works effectively with Xfinity Internet, ensure that you’re using Xfinity-compatible modems.
You can check our blog on how to find Xfinity-compatible modems to get more information.
As for the updates, here’s a process that you can follow:
- Open your web browser and type in your IP address as well as your login information.
- This will help you locate your ‘Firmware’/ ‘Update’ section.
- Next, download the latest firmware update, which will be displayed on the router’s manufacturer’s website.
- Once done, you’ll install the updates.
- Next, reboot the router for the updates to take place.
- Ensure that your router is connected to the internet during the process to fully download and complete the updates.
You can also get a good idea about Xfinity modems from our extended guide or reach out to Xfinity customer service for assistance in any case.
Updating your internet equipment is quite important since outdated equipment can undermine the performance of your internet service. With the abovementioned methods, you can easily update your Xfinity equipment online and get the seamless internet experience you signed up for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to upgrade my modem?
In case you’re experiencing slowness in the internet speed, if there’s no throttling or provider issue, then you need to upgrade your internet modem to replenish the speed.
How Often Should I Upgrade My Xfinity Router?
An average router can last 2-3 years before losing performance. You can upgrade it after 3 years; however, if the performance isn’t affected, then you may continue using it.
How Do I Know When To Update My Xfinity Router?
Based on the following factors, you can decide to update your Xfinity router:
- Speed: doesn’t match the speed tier you opted for.
- Connection: The connection doesn’t remain steady and disconnects often.
- Cybersecurity: you see security alerts every hour.
- Router age: the router model is outdated.