CenturyLink’s ActionTec C1000A modem comes with a self-installation option for convenience. This way you can set up the CenturyLink internet modem at your home by yourself and save up on additional installation costs. Your modem will arrive one day before your service is scheduled. Your internet service will be activated before 7 pm on the day of service. The first step is to connect your modem, followed by connecting a device to it, and then activating it.
How to set up the modem?
Here’s what you need to do to set up the modem.
- Plug the LAN cable into the designated VDSL/DSL space marked in green.
- Connect the power cable to the modem and connect it to a live power source.
- Wait a few minutes for the internet connection to establish. After a successful connection, the internet light located on the front of the modem will light up. Initially, it might blink, but it should stay on after a while.
The light has three modes. Red indicates that there’s no service, orange indicates a connection attempt in progress, and green is for when it’s connected.
Connect the Modem to a Device
There are four Ethernet ports at the back of the modem that you can use to connect to a wired device, including a laptop, computer, or gaming console. The Ethernet cable is required for a wired connection.
Alternatively, you can use the modem’s Wi-Fi to connect to a device wirelessly. Check if the wireless light on the device is on. If yes, connect to the Wi-Fi from your phone or tablet by entering the key/passphrase located on the back of the modem. You can change it later after activation.
Activate the Modem
Activation requires a computer connected to the modem via the Ethernet cable. Follow the steps listed below.
- Open and browser and type “192.168.0.1” in the URL bar at the top to open the router configuration page.
- Enter your admin username and password in the designated space. You’ll find these on the back of the modem labeled as admin username and admin password. If you can’t log in, try resetting the modem by pressing the reset button located on its back.
- Navigate to “Wireless Setup” where you can change the Wi-Fi name from the basic settings.
- To change the password, head over to “Wireless Security” and enter your desired password under “Use Custom Security Key/Passphrase.”
- Navigate to “Apply” at the bottom of the page to save the changes.
The modem setup is now complete and you can start using the internet on multiple device via the Ethernet or Wi-Fi. To check if your internet is working properly, you can run a speed test here.
In case you need assistance with the setup or troubleshooting, contact CenturyLink customer service by dialing the TFN right away.